Saturday, January 12, 2013

Homemade Cough Syrup

One of the most frustrating things about being a naturopathic patient is knowing so certainly that this kind of medicine is truly effective, yet not being able to convince the universe that it's true.  I don't know why I feel so compelled to do so except that I've struggled so much, and with naturopathic care I'm so much healthier and happier.  I really just want that for everyone.

I'm fully aware that we all have our own set of opinions, beliefs, and backgrounds.  I know that our unique perspectives make us who we are.  And I'm finally learning to leave people alone when they clearly have no interest in naturopathic medicine and my stories of success therewith.  That's actually why I write about it.  My hope is that I can still reach more people who might be prompted to consider more natural means to attain the wellness they seek.
What does all that have to do with cough syrup?  Keep reading...

I come from a diverse family.  But truthfully, "diverse" is a nice way of saying unique.  And "unique" is a nice way of saying eccentric.  This means that not everyone gets us.  I'm fully aware that my naturopathic perspective can seem weird to people who are settled into mainstream healthcare.  So when my mother-in-law got the flu, I reeaaallllly wanted to suggest all the natural things I knew she could try, like warming socks, but they could be too weird for her to "get" so I kept quiet.  I still wanted to help.
Cough Syrup!

OTC and prescription cough syrup makes my MIL feel like crap; it gives her a gut ache like there's no tomorrow.  You'd swear she just drank hydrochloric acid, the pain is so awfully apparent.  So I asked my own ND for a homemade cough syrup recipe and got this link:
Since we don't have elderberries handy in my neighborhood, I used a bag of organic mixed berries and followed the above recipe to start out, then ended up doing this:

Boil one bag elderberries or any berries with 3 cups of water until it reduces by about half in volume.  Midway through I used a potato masher to pop any skins that had not already done so on their own.
Add one heaping tablespoon of freshly grated ginger, two cinnamon sticks, and two whole cloves (actual spice cloves - not garlic).  Note: ginger in a tube does not work as well at all; grate it fresh folks!

Once that simmers for...oh.... a good while (maybe 20 minutes with just berries and 10 more with the rest) strain it.  Let it cool about halfway while steeping some echinacea tea in it, then add a half cup of organic honey (cooling prevents the heat from killing the good stuff in the honey).  I added about 30-40 drops of elderberry tincture since I happen to have it leftover from my own treatment plan.   Add a tablespoon of vodka to help it "keep".  Finally, boil a glass jar to sterilize it.  (Tip: buy a small funnel for your kitchen; makes life easier sometimes.) 
 
 
I delivered my homemade cough syrup to my MIL....and she liked it!  And she thinks it helped!!  Shoot - even my husband liked it and he pretty much hates ginger and cloves.  When she first tasted it, she looked up at us, wide-eyed, and said, "It's good!?", surprised and pleased at once. 

The most important thing is that my MIL got some relief.  The other satisfying part was that something that she might normally see as weird became something she could understand because it helped.  A few days later my husband woke me up with a racking cough in the wee, dark hours. I dosed him with some of this & before I knew it, he was snoring.  And that, friends, is why I write.  And why I still talk about it.  Naturopathic medicine works gently, with your body, and without side effects like debilitating stomach pain.  (And it's not even weird.)
You don't have to make your own remedies!  Go see a naturopath for the best treatment for your cough or cold!  And then when you are feeling better, or healing more quickly, or just not dealing with side effects on top of what already ails you, tell people about it!  We can't put the pharmaceutical companies out of business, but we can keep them off our shelves. 

 

Now it's your turn...what natural remedies are working for YOU this cold season?

No comments:

Post a Comment