Monday, March 4, 2013

Whole30 Week Two

This particular "Naturopathic Patient" has completed week two of the Whole30 plan.  The Whole30 is a nutritional reset on which you can eat meat, veg, healthy oils, and a little fruit.  You don't eat grains, sugar, dairy, legumes, white potatoes, seed oils, or alcohol.  You can read more about what it is and why we're doing it here....and here.....

FOOD REVELATION from week two: full fat coconut milk is the bomb when it comes to making, flavoring, & thickening a sauce.  Who needs heavy cream from cows?
OBSERVATION 1: This has been easier than expected & I think it's because trying to change and making a commitment to change are two entirely different things.  When you mentally decide upon a new path and accept it as a must, it gets easier.  Not easy, but easier.

Until something snaps/clicks/gels, people will struggle and cheat and lament their inability to stay the course.  It's that internal switch that, once flipped, allows us to do as we set out regardless of the obstacles (cupcakes, parties, insert stressor or temptation here).  As long as you have a choice, you struggle between good and bad. 
The Whole30 is built upon the idea that you do not slip or cheat; it's a commitment.  There's no question of cheating because it's not part of the plan.  You suck it up, act like a grown up, and just do it cuz it's only 30 friggin days.  I love how direct authors Melissa and Dallas Hartwig are about cheating.  You can't.  And it's not that hard to do anything for 30 days.

OBSERVATION 2: I was talking about some of the yummy stuff we can try to eat once the Whole30 and re-entry are over, and my husband said he didn't feel deprived at all.  Well great, Mr. Perfect.  30 minutes later we were driving down the road with me thinking how unfair it is that I have spent my whole life craving sugar while he is content with the occasional treat.  He interrupts my thoughts and says, "I want to eat everything I see!"  (Phew!  He's human!!) 

So I told him about real cravings versus triggered cravings.  If you are sitting at work and apple pie visions start floating around your mind, that, friends, is a real craving.  But if you're watching tv and a character serves themselves up a steaming slice and THEN you decide you're craving pie, you are not.  They were.  And that's a trigger.  You've just been reminded of some pleasant pie past & the memory made you want more.  But it's not real.

While you're on the Whole30, take note of the trigger cravings you get (a million) and the real ones that come your way.  If it is real, and distraction techniques don't get rid of the Big Want, then decide if it's something you should plan to have once the program is done and you've figured out if you can tolerate the ingredients.
When the time comes, be honest....is it still a real craving or has it become an ideal you don't really want anymore?  Still real?  Get the best possible version of it, make coffee, serve it on china, and pay attention to Every Single Bite.  (Otherwise you won't savor the moment and you'll still be craving the  darn thing later!)


HOW IT'S GOING
Low carb diets make me feel like crap.   Granted the Whole30 is not specifically a low carb plan (it's a good carb plan), but it's possible to have too few of them.  If I don't have at least one hefty serving of sweet potatoes at every other meal, my low blood pressure kicks my ass.  I'm dizzy when I stand up from a horizontal position.  Climbing a couple stairs feels like hiking up Rainier.  I feel funny.  Like fizzy and funny and not at all fine.

I can fix it in the moment with salty olives and lots of water, but only more carbs makes it stay away.  Hopefully this will level off as my body adjusts. 
Low BP aside, apparently the thrill of a new plan, this mutual effort with my husband, is over.  The newness is gone and the cravings are back.  Why do I keep thinking about cheap grocery store cake mixes?  I don't even use those things!

Some other stuff: My normally clear skin is back.  Fatigue and weakness are gone.  My allergies still suck.  Energy is fairly good.  We haven't seen any change in our various symptoms - but we didn't expect it yet.  And my guy is a rock star; he hasn't complained or wavered or had issues.  So proud!
Finally, a musing....I wonder if Whole30 disciples would consider it cheating when we snack on coconuts and carrots and such while prepping our meals?  No matter.  The prepping, sampling, smelling, and crunching raw food helps your body produce the enzymes that will allow your meal's nutrients to be more fully absorbed.  
 
NOTABLE MEALS
  • Napa cabbage leaves make awesome wraps, taco shells, tortillas, bread, or pitas.  Name a vessel for protein and veg; napa cabbage leaves can replace it.   
  • Costco carrots are awesome.  You can get a massive amount, organic & cheap, even though your farmer's market is closed for the season.  And check out recipes for carrot ginger soup like this one.  (I also put paprika in mine, and I added the leftover sludge from a beef roast.)  http://paleomg.com/ginger-carrot-soup/      Mmmmmm.
  • Chipotle!  We are fairly certain we can eat there safely.  We can't eat most of the menu items but you can get carnitas in a bowl with mild salsa, lettuce, & guacamole.  We went Friday night...bliss.  Someone else cooked it.  There were no dishes afterward.  Hurrah!

WEEK TWO RECAP:
Downside: Nothing has really changed from an overall health perspective, and the excitement of starting the Whole30 was replaced with the inevitable cravings.  Wah.

Upside?  Very up!  Our meals have been delicious and we aren't feeling deprived in any way.  Moreover, we've pretty much gotten used to (and better at) prepping all our food at home; meals are much easier and faster to put together.  Looking forward to what week three will bring!
And I miss mints.

No comments:

Post a Comment